Do Your Homework Before Building a Pond
You need to ask questions and really think about what you want from your pond or water garden before you start building. Because owning a water feature is a commitment.
If you want a koi pond, you need to remember that fish are pets and they require proper care to live. For example, you can not turn the pump off for long periods of time because it is the "lungs" of your pond. But there are cases where you do.. like if you live in a colder climate and temps are near freezing and you may be shutting it down doing a pond winterization. In which case you will still add some form of pond aeration, but the main pond pump will be pulled out.
Like any project its best if you can get all the answers to the following questions worked out before you start your water feature installation.
- Why do you want a pond/water feature?
- What are you looking to accomplish with it?
- Where should it be located? Try to avoid a spot with too many trees, or full sun so you limit some pond maintenance down the road.
- How much money and time can you devout to the pond?
- How big of a pond do you want? Will you want to expand it later on.. and how can you prepare for that now to make it easier when the time comes?
- Do you want a water garden or a koi pond? There is a big difference between the two.
- What material pond liner do you want to use? Concrete, 45 Mil EPDM rubber pond liner, or spray on liner? What are the cost differences?
- Do you need a permit? Most ponds can be up to 18"-24" deep without a permit, but check your local laws. If you are going to have koi keep in mind that 2' is often too shallow to protect koi from predators. Herons, raccoons, coyotes, etc. will have a feild day with them.
- Are you going to have a pond contractor do the work?
- Are you going to use bottom drains and pond skimmer?
- What will be used for oxygenation?
- What type of filter or pond and waterfall pumps will be used?
If you can do some of this boring legwork up front it is going to make your whole pond project more successful. It is no fun to have to do things 2-3 times because you did not take an hour to plan the project first. Worse yet having to tear the whole project apart due to problems like algae. Any questions, feel free to contact us.